Thursday, September 24, 2009

Proverbs 13:20

Sunday morning Bailey and I were on our way to church and she didn't say a word the whole way there. We pull into the parking lot and she says "Momma, I think me and Tory are the only ones at school whose parents don't drink & smoke." I didn't know how to respond so I just told her there were probably others too. She told me it used to embarass her that I didn't drink but then she realized Tory's parents didn't either and she was ok. I told her that as christians were are supposed to be different from "the world" and that you couldn't do what others did just because that's what everyone was doing.

After church, on our way home. I asked her what she learned. She recited the memory verse Proverbs 13:20 "He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm." Wow....so the lesson she learned went right along with what we had talked about earlier!

I remember growing up and being embarassed because my dad DID drink. How things change. It is so sad that she was embarassed by what we DON'T do. It just seems like the older I get the more you have this world telling you it's ok to do this and that. People are compromising more and more. The bible is God's true and living word. There is no gray area in the bible. No where will you find...."Well, if you're dealt a bad hand YOU don't have to follow ALL of God's word, just the parts you want." If you truly believe how can you not be changed? Matthew 18:3 "And he said: I tell you the truth, unless you change and become little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

I dread what issues we will face during the teenage years. Bailey is a smart kid and I just pray that she and Reese will always remember what they have been taught and that they can influence others in a positive way instead of being influenced negatively.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Bailey is wonderful& it shows everytime I see her! She's going to be an amazing leader one day!