Friday, January 9, 2009

Hodge Podge

I wasn't sure what Hodge Podge meant so I looked up the meaning: any jumbled mixture;mess;medley. Yep, that's what I'm writing about tonight, a mixture of things. Usually when I hear that word I think of my grandmother. She was always making things and I can remember her buying tons of hodge podge! Can't remember how or what she used it for but I sure remember she had lots of it.

First, I want to commend Denson on how much he has grown this past year! He is so humble and would never toot his own horn but I'll help in out.
1. He went to family gatherings, way more than one, and was happy about it. We didn't even leave early!!
2.Since I am helping at church more, he has had to go into worship by himself. Normally, he would just stay home.
3. He agreed to lead our Community Group this last week since our "leader" was out of town. Even though only 1 couple showed we had a great time.
4. He knows when God is speaking to him.
5. Oh, and he helped me teach the 2 yr old class at church every other Sunday.
6. He is a great dad and takes care of the kids gladly when needed.
7. He is a wonderful step-dad and takes time to spend time with JUST Bailey.

This last week he went shopping for jeans with me. Now that may not be a big deal to some but for me......shopping for jeans is a BIG ordeal. Not once did he say "How much longer?" After that we had lunch together. THEN we get home and I realized I had lost my cell phone!!! This is the 3rd phone I've had to replace in less than a year. He didn't say a word, we just got in the car and got a new phone. That is love right there. He never said one cross word. Can't say that I would have handled it that well.


Here is another Bailey story. We were doing one of her devotionals and it was about Hezekiah. We talked about how you have to get advice/counsel from wise people. I asked her who was a wise person she could talk to......she thought for a moment and said "I don't know any wise people." Wow, the parents already aren't wise? I thought we had a few years for that. But, I explained a little more and gave her an example and then she understood. So, for now, I am "the wise person" she can talk to.

...........How do you say goodbye..........A friend of mine told me about a friend of hers a few months ago that had cancer. I had been following her story on caring bridge. She was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 6 months pregnant with her 2nd child. Very, Very sad story. She is a believer. Her story was even featured on Fox 6 news. She had been going to MD Anderson in Houston for experimental treatment. After Christmas she took a turn for the worse and is expected to pass away at any moment. Having 2 kids under 5........how do you say goodbye to them and how do they say goodbye to her? I've wondered if I would want to know when I would die or not know at all.........How hard would goodbye be and how hard would it be for your loved to not get that goodbye. Luckily this place is not our eternal home. How awesome will it be to be in heaven and have no worries, fears, or tears! I watched a Barbar Walter's special the other night about Patrick Swayze. He is dying of cancer too. You know, it is so true that God won't bring you to something that you can't handle. It always seems that people dying have such a peace and calmness to them. To be able to love God and not be angry at Him the entire time they are suffering. God is great all the time and all the time God is great! What would we do without Him?!?!?

Ok, for a more uplifting story........sorry if this is too long!!! I am absolutely addicted to Facebook. It is just too neat. Any who, one of my teachers from high school added me as a friend. I looked at his profile and he and his family are missionaries in Washington on an indian reservation. His blog is http://www.sacredroadyakama.blogspot.com/, check it out when you can. They are doing an amazing job there. They are planting a church so be in prayer for them. It's cool that we attend a church that was planted 2 yrs ago. This world needs God more than ever and we don't have to leave the country to share the gospel. There are hurting people everywhere. I pray the lord will give us oppurtunities to share His love with the hurting. Give us his eyes, and open our hearts to his word and voice.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Bailey is such a doll & you are doing such a good job with her! Your love & guidance will overpower everything there. I cannot imagine how hard as a mom it must be to pass her off though.
My grandfather uses the word "hodge podge" as his way to make cornbread. He never has a recipe.