Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Citizen of Heaven

I just got home from a bible study with my dear friend, Kona B. On Wednesdays, her church does an hour bible study and a lunch to take with you. When I say study, I mean study. I don't think I've ever been challenged to go this deep before, and I love it and need it. I will share some of what I learned.

Ephesians 2:19 - "Consequently you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone."

Once you become a christian you are a citizen of heaven, we are strangers to this world. Here is one of many anaolgies. Even if you leave the US and go to another country, you still have the benefits of being a US citizen although you are on foreign ground. I know heaven is an awesome place and I am a citizen there. But we can experience great joy and happiness here on earth. Romans 15:13 says "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit". Just like the Lord's prayers says "....your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Another scripture, John 10:10 " ...I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." This if from the NIV and other's say "have it in abundance". None of those scriptures end in "when you get to heaven."

We are very blessed to live in the US. If my house were on fire I can call 911 and because I reside in Odenville, the Odenville FD will come to my house and put out the fire. Now, lets say my house was on fire and I ran out of the house and just waited on the FD? Well, I am a resident of Odenville but I do have to make the call. Or, what if I ran out of the burning house waited 10 minutes and then called 911? It would probably be too late. So, God's word is the fire department here. I have to read it and speak it for it to help me. Of course God knows what we need, but Matthew 7: 7 says "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

We have life's instruction book, the Bible, we just need to use. I know I am guilty of not picking mine up for days at a time. Life is busy and I know I need to make reading God's word a priority. How about you?

1 comment:

Karencom said...

Wow, "Citizen of Heaven", what a way to think about it...thanks for the enlightening new perspective and insights!
I like your new page layout/colors - Karen. :)