Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Same Post - Different Words :)

So I've had several different topics on my mind to blog about lately. Obviously I've procrastinated quite a bit. As usual.....when I sit down to write, I draw a big fat blank so this post may or may not make sense :)



In the last few weeks, conversations I've had with my hubby have really stood out. I love that I can talk to him about things that are floating around in my head and for the most part he gets what I'm trying to say and adds to it. Now, he could just be being nice but either way I feel like getting those thoughts out verbally help to process things.



From our conversations and sermons Pastor Chris has preached I've come to the realization that being a christian, or telling someone you are a christian, really has the potential to cause a good bit of harm or (hopefully) alot of good. For some people, they may encounter very few christians in their life. What that person says, does, or doesn't do is what becomes their idea of what all christians are like. Sure, we are not perfect by any means. If an alocoholic sees a "christian" drinking, would that make that person think that it might be ok? If "the world" sees us and can't really see a difference in how they are living and how you are, then what would their incentive be to become a christian? I think God is more concerned about us being holy and leading others to him than how we want to live. I don't know about you, but doing things the way I've wanted them haven't worked out real well.



D.L. Moody wrote: " It is a great deal better to live a holy life than to talk about it. We are told to let our light shine, and if it does we won't need to tell anybody it does. The light will be it's own witness. Lighthouses don't ring bells and fire cannons to call attention to their shining - they just shine."

Wow, that is pretty powerful!



Moving on to a couple of other revelations. I looked back the other day on when I became saved. I had been in church on and off my whole life, knew what I needed to do but never did it. I can recall realizing I NEEDED a saviour. I truly could not do the thing we call "life" here another second on my own. Days later I also realized there was NOTHING I could do to earn my salvation. "Isn't that crazy?" I thought. So, I know that there is nothing I or anyone else can do to get a person to accept Christ. But, we can plant seeds and be an example and I guarantee you when someone comes to the place that they need a saviour they will think of you and what you've said. I know I thought of a man that I used to work with that was a good christian example. No matter what was going on at work, no matter where the office Christmas parties were, he always acted the same. He invited me to church several times, although I never accepted. But, when I finally GOT IT, I wanted to let him know that I did and I appreciated all the kind words he spoke and the example that he was.

So after having the above conversation with Denson, we started talking about all the things that had to happen for us to be in the place we are at now. First, I wasn't a believer and the fact that God was busy working things out even when I could care less is just amazing. Second, when my "light" was turned on, luckily I had a supportive spouse and we starting growing together. Since I had been married before and didn't have that luck when I did try to do "church" - I know that mine and Denson's marriage was meant to be. We sure didn't consult Him before getting married!

One last thing, a good friend and I have started the Beth Moore study on Esther. It is amazing!! I had heard of her before but never read any of her books. Well, this study has made me a Beth Moore fan. We will start week 2 tomorrow and I can't wait! Hope everyone has a great week!

No comments: