Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Memories

Everyone has certain memories that come to mind around this time of year. I love reflecting and reading others' memories as well (thanks Meg!). Here we go:

My first memory is of my grandmother making candy for what seemed like weeks before Christmas. She made fudge, divinity and others that I can't clearly recall. I didn't like any of that stuff but it just seemed like home to see her in the kitchen.

When we were young we always went to to Nanny and PaPa's on Christmas Eve. I LOVED getting together with everyone and it seems that at the end of the party someone always pointed to the TV to show where Santa was at and we better get home and in the bed fast! I Sure miss those days and miss my PaPa!

Every year we had a real tree. When I say REAL tree, we didn't go anywhere to buy it, we walked in the woods behind our house and cut it down. It wasn't the best of trees some years but it was our tree. Also, it seems like most of our ornaments were homemade. (Do you remember that Karen?) I wish we could find those, but I'm sure they are long gone by now.

This one may not be a good memory, but it is a memory. The Christmas after our parents divorced was different. We all needed clothes and that is what we got. Christine broke down crying asking where the toys were. (Maybe that's why she married Micky, he has enough toys for all of us!) As a parent now, I know that was hard on my dad but he did the best he could. After all, we were still more fortunate than others, we may not have had what we wanted but we had what we needed.

Ok, enough of that, now for a funny one. My Aunt June went to work and left the Christmas decorating up to my Uncle Ricky. She got home and was impressed with what he had done. She looked towards the kitchen and she had these Santa shaped cups that spelled N_O_E_L......except that on this day they spelled L_E_O_N. She corrected the layout and my Uncle said "I was wondering who Leon was." To this day, when I see anything with Noel on it I think of them:)

We always had some much fun going to my Mom's for Christmas. We always had good food but I always looked forward to the shrimp dip, her homemade ranch dressing, and green onions. I've never had any of those 3 things that are better than hers. Also, we all, always had an envelope on the tree with some green in it!

I am ALL about traditions and starting them for my family. Denson always laughs and tells me what a dork I am. Deep down I know he loves it too! We read about the Birth of Jesus from the bible. We get to open one present. This year and years to come we will attend the Christmas Eve service at church. After that , we are coming home and baking a birthday cake for Jesus. Christmas morning, we will sing Happy Birthday and have cake for breakfast. I will be cooking a real breakfast too. I wish I were more creative but this works for us.

One more thing......I loved watching the Christmas cartoons that came on, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Frosty the Snow Man, and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Remember that back then you couldn't watch cartoons everyday, just on Saturdays and on Holidays.

That about it I guess............Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight!!!

2 comments:

Meg said...

I love the birthday cake for Jesus! I may start that one with my sweet Cole. Thanks! I bet they love cake for breakfast!!!

Karencom said...

Hi Sheila, yep, I remember those homemade ornaments and I'm pretty sure that Momma made them. She would take Christmas cards and cut out circles, then put two cutouts back-to-back, punch holes all around the outside, then secure them together with a piece of yarn looped through the holes then tied in a bow at the top.

Our church, Bethany Baptist, has an 11pm candlelight service every Christmas Eve that is magical. I've gone to it the last 2 years and will be there again this year. Scriptures of Jesus' birth are read, many hymns are sung, and whoever wishes to speak has the opportunity to share their thoughts and prayers with everyone...last but not least, everyone holds a candle and together sings "Joy to the World" as the clock strikes midnight - I'm tearing up just thinking about it right now. For me, this service is a time to think about the true meaning of Christmas - Christ's birth and also to reflect on each of my loved ones who are spending Christmas in Heaven. It may sound crazy but I imagine all of those people together (even some who never knew each other on Earth) celebrating and lovingly watching all of us down here.

Thanks for sharing and reminding me of those great Christmas memories!