Monday, February 27, 2012

Blessed be the Name of the Lord

The title of this post was from yesterday's sermon. Very powerful sermon on Job. The current sermon series is called "Overcoming". Just what I need to hear right now. I have a lot to overcome.

This verse spoke volumes to me - Job 1:21 And he said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.".

And of course I have a song to reference because, let's face it, that's how I roll. This one is a little more obvious, "Blessed be your name".

Blessed Be Your Name lyrics


Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord

Beautiful song for sure. But when we are on the road marked with suffering can I truly say it and believe it? Most days I say I can and I am....but I had a moment this evening where I doubted. Then I felt angry for allowing myself to doubt. "God, are you there? Are you really working things out? The peace I feel, is that you or am I crazy? Help me!".

The pity party has come to an end and I'm going to take some advice I give Bailey. "Now Bailey, you need to smile. It's hard to be mad or sad when you are smiling!".

That goes along with one of the points from Sunday: Worship may be our only source of strength when we face extreme suffering.

So tonight I will choose to say "Blessed be the name of the Lord!"

No comments: