Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 2

I'm started to figure out I can learn a lot from Saul, or maybe how not to do things. So far though I've realized there are more similarities than I care to admit. Todays lesson was from 1Samuel 15:12-29. God told Saul to destroy the Amalekites. Everything including the livestock. But he chose to keep the best livestock to sacrifice to God. To me it's like your child stealing something from a store but telling you they really thought you would like the gift despite breaking the law and stealing.

Samuel already knew what Saul had done. He confronted him but Saul tried to justify his actions. He Said he obeyed God and kept what he did for the Lord. This is another example of being self centered. That is just like something I would do. God, I know you said to do this but I thought it would work better for me to do something else instead.

So Saul was rejected as King for being disobedient. All he had to do was exactly what God said and he didn't. Again he tried to blame the people saying he was afraid of them and gave in to what they wanted. Compromising will not get you where you want to be. Anytime you choose to please people instead of God it will not have a happy ending.

Ive learned that lesson the hard way one too many times. I am extremely grateful for God's grace when I think about how He has never given up on me. He loves us even in our sin but loves us even more to not let us remain comfortable in it. Thank you Lord!

No comments: