Monday, January 16, 2012

Loss for words

Do you ever find yourself really wanting and needing to cry out to God but you can't find the words to pray? A couple of years ago I had a dream that was so sad that I woke up crying. Well sobbing might be a better word. I dreamed a family member had died and it seemed so real! It was early in the morning so no one was up so I went downstairs to pray. Except that I had no words. I mean, I kinda knew what I wanted to say but felt like my words were inadequate. I know God knew my heart and heard me crying out, I know that without a doubt.

My study today reminded me that there isn't a certain way to pray, or big Christian words that you have to use. I know I've complained to God, been angry with Him and I need to be able to just talk to Him. Be real. Be myself.

David's prayer in Psalm 142: 1-7
With my voice I cry out to the Lord;

with my voice I plead for mercy to the Lord.

I pour out my complaint before him;

I tell my trouble before him.

When my spirit faints within me,

you know my way!

In the path where I walk

they have hidden a trap for me.

Look to the right and see:

there is none who takes notice of me;

no refuge remains to me;

no one cares for my soul.

I cry to you, O Lord;

I say, "You are my refuge,

my portion in the land of the living."

Attend to my cry,

for I am brought very low!

Deliver me from my persecutors,

for they are too strong for me!

Bring me out of prison,

that I may give thanks to your name!

The righteous will surround me,

for you will deal bountifully with me. (Psalm 142:1-7 ESV)

I can almost feel the desperation. I know I reference a lot of songs on here but these lyrics came to mind: I'm finding myself at a loss for words and the funny thing is, it's ok. The last thing I need is to be heard but to hear what you would say.

Sometimes just sitting in silence can do wonders for the soul. So, whether you need to let it all out or you are at a loss for words....it's ok.

No comments: